Saturday, January 4, 2014

"Fall seven times, stand up eight."..."I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day...


"Fall seven times, stand up eight."   ~Japanese proverb

I'd rather see a sermon, than hear one any day.

I'd rather you would walk with me, than merely tell me the way.
The eye is a better pupil, and more willing than the ear.
Fine counsel is confusing, but example is always clear.
And the best of all preachers, are the men (& women) who live their creeds.
For to see good put in action is what everybody needs.
I soon can learn to do it, if you'll let me see it done.
I can see your hands in action, but your tongue too fast may run.
The lectures you deliver may be very wise and true.
But I'd rather get my lesson by observing what you do.
For I may misunderstand you and the high advice you give.
But there is no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.
~Edgar A. Guest